BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, March 6, 2010

My Mother's Story

I had a friend in high school who got pregnant our junior year. She didn’t believe in abortion, so she didn’t even consider it. She had a boy, and in several ways, he saved her life. That baby gave her a reason to be the best she could be. I’m so happy that she got to have this miraculous, life-changing experience.

That’s the common story. Let me tell you the story rarely told, my mother’s story.

My mother did not raise a child in poverty with an abusive alcoholic or with no one at all. She was not on welfare, living in a trailer down the road from her parents. Instead, my mom went to college, got a job, and lived a life she was proud of. I had two parents, both of whom had time to help me with my homework. I went to college. My kids will probably get to go to college. I’m here today because my mother did have an abortion. She waited 10 years until she was ready to have and support children. She waited until one day she could ask her daughter if I think she made the right decision. I love my life. I love that my mom got to live her life. I love that life that my children could now live. I love the decision my mother made.

0 comments: